Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Volunteering at the Stanwood Food Bank

The Stanwood Camano Food Bank/Thrift Store located in an off white building about half the size of a Walmart store in the heart of Stanwood was first established in 1979 by Jeanie Ovenell with the desire to help provide food on a month by month basis to families in need. Though the cement floors are worn and the walls could really use a new paint job, this drop in center open 10:00 a.m.-11:50 a.m., 1:00 p.m. -3:30 p.m. Wednesday and Friday, provides for the needs of an average of 400 households (1,500 people) a month.

This place, ran nearly by all volunteers, gets all of its money to keep the place running by the money brought in from people who buy second hand items from their thrift store ,or the donations of others. All the thousands of canned food and other perishable items that come in have been donated by local grocery stores (like Hagen's)as they pull items off of all the expired food from their shelves. This food still plenty good enough to eat is then distributed to all who come in and can show proof of their identity, proof of their family members, and records of their annual income.

During my first visit I was able volunteer in a wide variety of tasks between organizing and breaking down boxes, to gathering plastic grocery bags to be used for the people who walk in. I also had the privilege of helping push old rickety and fully loaded grocery carts, across cracked, uneven sidewalks and bumpy old black top, along with helping gently unload the bagged groceries into their car. some of the carts even squeaked and growned under protest.

I selected this service project for several reasons. First off I knew it would be a lot easier for me to access than driving down to Everett. Secondly, of the three projects that were located near where I live, it was the least similar to many of the volunteering projects that I have done in the past. Lastly, I knew it would be most out of my comfort zone. The other options that I had were to tutor students ranging between k-5th grade or to volunteer at a youth activity center. In my life I currently teach Sunday school to four and five year olds and I have already volunteered four summers in a row as a counselor for a Day Camp program organizing games, leading bible lessons, lead music, swimming, taking the kids on an exploration of a nearby beach, and interacting with the children's parents on family nights. Currently I am also volunteering in a program called The Spot which involves working with junior high and high school students that come from rough family backgrounds and provides them a warm safe place to get off the streets, eat some food, hang out, or play games if they so choose. Volunteering at the food bank allows me to explore another environment involving people of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds whereas the tutoring program or the youth activity center where things I already knew how to do. So, it seemed the most logical thing to do.

*There currently is no web sight for the Stanwood Camano Food Bank/Thrift Store

All information was gathered either from a small packet they gave me upon my request, or from the experience I had after the first time volunteering there.

1 comment:

  1. Daniel, this was a fantastically informative post on your service learning. Thank you for making clear the precise location and times of operation of the food bank. It's also very cool to know more about your personal background. Thanks for sharing so in depth!

    ReplyDelete